Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Living Second Lives: Animangaki 2010

The dust has finally settled over Animangaki 2010. You'd be hard pressed not to find any photos, videos or plain old anecdotes from satisfied attendees anywhere on the Web, yours truly included.

While many of them were for personal purposes, mine had a more professional intention. I am a member of the Young News Network, which is the youth arm of The Star newspaper's online video portal Switchup.TV. Desperate to contribute, I was more than grateful to come across Animangaki a week before the event. Seeing this as an opportunity to shed light on the growing cosplaying culture in Malaysia whilst polishing my portfolio, I emailed Ju Eng, the executive editor, to request for equipment. So with a Nikon D5000 DSLR, ambition and nervousness in hand, I set off for Sunway University to shoot my first YNN video.

It is obvious that there are plenty of mistakes in my video, and I will not deny them. In retrospect, I should have also requested for a mic, as the loud background noise destroyed any semblance of atmosphere I had intended for the video. In addition, you could even tell that I was trying to place more focus on the cosplayers interviewed and blur the background. Unfortunately, my lack of experience with a DSLR proved to be my downfall.

However, I see these mistakes as lessons to be learned in the future, and rest assured, I will definitely be producing more videos. Franklin P. Jones had a quote that rise to the occasion. He once said, "Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.". If you have any events that you feel are worth covering, please do let me know. I look forward to my next shooting.

My video is also on The Star's website. Do visit to give it more page views. Thanks for your support and cooperation, folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment