Saturday, August 1, 2009

Here We Go A-Marching

Yesterday,me together with 33 fellow students and 3 teachers attended the show KakiBlue playing at the KL Performing Arts Centre.KakiBlue is a comedy musical about 3 friends who just finished SPM and expect a fun-filled holiday.However before they could even relish the possibility of being in bed till 1 in the afternoon,they are summoned in the form of an SMS to attend National Service.Naturally,they have their own conceived images of the camp,and the play's about their adventures during their stint at their Butterworth post.

I first got wind of this while surfing the web for plays to take my peers to.I am the president of the English Language Society and I am ashamed to admit that our club is not the most popular or active club around.Our membership is pathetic,especially if compared to even the Maths and Science Club.The blame has to be put on the previous BOD,who have never organised anything that the whole school could participate in.They only take into account their own members without a thought for the ones who are intersted in the English Language but are too busy to join the society.Therefore,I took it upon myself to organise a trip to KLpac to watch a play and hopefully improve the society's standing.


Once I got the necessary details,I swung my plan into action from the date to the bus and everything.Naturally,things did not run as smoothly with my blur secretary handing the letters to school late and the staggering number of people who pulled out in the last minute.Thankfully,I managed to pull through and make this plan a reality.

On the day of the trip itself,I encountered many problems that were out of my hand.The show starts at half past 8 and I told everyone that the bus would arrive at 7.Although the bus was 5 minutes late,everyone was here,everyone except Sheikh Ammar,a Form 3 student.Finally after 20 excruciating minutes,I was able to pull him out of his dad's car and into the bus.Next,the traffic.I forgot that there was a protest march and it caused major jams in KL.Although we weren't in the worst one,it definitely took a long time.So I managed to breathe a sigh of relief when we reached Sentul with 5 minutes to go.However,the bus driver got lost.after 10 minutes of driving around looking for the entrance,he stopped at a mamak restaurant to ask for directions.When we finally found the way to KLpac,we were 20 minutes late.I was able to get hold of our tickets,but was told that we would have to wait until it was intermission time before we were allowed in.

My blood pressure definitely rose up a few notches that night.



Programme book:RM 5
Badge:RM3
When the woman was walking around with the merchandise,I thought it was complimentary.I was wrong.

Me and my sis posing for a photo in front of the banner while waiting to go into the theatre.


The ones who do not just sat around and mope.

Finally after being bored for 10 minutes,I took the initiative to ask the woman if we could enter.We could,and were allowed in for the last 5 minutes of song and dance before intermission.

Pros first.I have to give props to the choreographer and the musical director for the excellent dance moves and songs,which are parodies of famous numbers from the 50s and 60s.Their acting was also great,though some do not agree with me.The same people are pride themselves as auteurs,you see.Pfft.

And now the cons.The dialogue is unbearingly cheesy and choke full of moral values,as if the scriptwriter wants to force them down our throats.And the ending leaves much to be desired.Really,really abrupt.

After the show,it's the obligatory photo time!

I was happy that although the participants had some complaints about the show,they still enjoyed it and thanked me for organising this trip.I know this is so not Tristan and you are allowed to puke but truly felt touched that my work was appreciated and that made it all the more worthwhile.

Roll Call:
Wilson Wong and his sisters,Sheikh Ammar,Mun Han,Ayuni,Elizabeth Chong,Putri Hayana,Dayana,Izlin,Liyana,Janice Theresa,Ashley,Cheryl,my sis,Balqis,Alysha Khazlida,Aizad,Azielia,Ilham,Ruzain,Bhindia Pooja,Harith,Calvin,Zhafir Zarkasha,Jackie Chua,Chan Siew Jan,Nabil,Faisal,Alifah,Emira,Yin Hun and Sze Munn.
Thank you for coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment