Friday, August 28, 2009

Foundation In Arts Explained!

I'm in a strangely generous mood lately.So much so that I haven't refuse anyone anything the past couple of days.Maybe that has something to do with my being selected for interview for the School Achievers Scholarship Award,or SASA for short.The fashion in which the news was delivered will never be forgotten,and for good reason.I was told of my selection by none other than Yeoh Jie Cong,a friend I met at the BRATs workshop earlier this year.As a SASA recipient himself,one of the conditions was to work for 148 hours at the HELP University College Marketing Dept.His main task that particular day was to break the news to all successful applicants.

Now this may seem mundane,but wait.It was around noon,almost 1 pm.This being the holidays,I was still in bed sleeping,having a particularly good dream.I was being knighted,when the world started vibrating.It was my phone ringing.

Not pleased with having my good dream interrupted,I showed it when I picked up the phone.There was a guy at the other end,putting on his best formal voice.Though I was still a bit groggy,I recognised it but couldn't placed my finger on whom.Then,he told me I got selected for the SASA interview.An awkward moment of silence later,he broke into a laugh and asked me if I knew who it was.That bastard.

And so,on the 6th of september I am to present myself at the main campus at precisely 12.30 pm.In anticipation,I have started practising my best speech voice,learning from the masters themselves.Our very own politicians.It's a wonder what Youtube can contribute towards your future.

I applied for Foundation in Arts.In honour of my impending awardance of the scholarship(yes,I am that confident),I have decided to help my fellow peers by explaining the programme.

It is a one year programme,consisting of 3 semesters.Each semester lasts 14 weeks.Within the year,I am to learn 11 subjects which differ with every semester.7 are compulsory while 4 are electives.Each subject will have 4 and a half hours of teaching a week.

Semester 1
1.Intermediate English
2.Finite Mathematics-a course conventionally required of business students, in which the curriculum brings together several mathematical topics, including basic probability theory, an introduction to linear programming, some theory of matrices and determinants, and sometimes an abbreviated account of calculus.(I'm screwed)
3.Computing Principles
4.Study Skills-Abilities and approaches applied to learning.Includes removing distractions,time management and notetaking.(wtf)

Semester 2
5.Advanced English
6.Critical Thinking Skills(wow)
2 electives

Semester 3
9.Statistics
2 electives

Electives
Introduction to Business Principles
Introduction to Marketing Principles
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics
Principles of Accounting
Economic Principles
C Programming
Internet Principles
Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism
Introduction to Public Relations
Introduction to Human Communication
Introduction to Legal Studies
Psychology for Personal Development
Visual Basics Programming


I've chosen Intro to Human Communication,Psychology for Personal Development,Intro to Hospitality and Tourism and Intro to PR.Though I am not aiming for the hotel industry,I am not interested in the other electives.Plus,who knows?I might like it and make it full time.

Assessment
Coursework and Assignments 40%
Mid term and Final Examinations 60%

Not bad really.At least it's a better system than the one being used at school,which places more emphasis on exams.Just because you managed to memorise the whole syllabus does not make you good at that subject.

So there you have it.My most rajin blog post.

On a side note,this is the new Green campus which will be completed by 2011.My god,the colour palette is fugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment