Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dodge,Duck,Dip,Dive and...Dodge!

The truth was,I know nothing about the rules of dodgeball.Whatever knowledge I had of the game came from that Vince Vaughn movie and American teen flicks where the jocks bullied the nerds.Despite that,I almost got a team together from school when I first heard of The Star R.AGE Campus Dodgeball Championship.Sadly,we noticed the Campus part right before registering.Lucky me then that Ivy mass forwarded an email to all BRATs to join the tournament,age restriction be damned.Naturally,I was excited and gloated all about it to my friends the next day.Mature I was not.Anyway,I signed up right away and started annoying every BRAT on FB asking them to join,forgetting they had college and something called a Life.Regrettably I wasn't able to participate in the coaching clinic at Lake View as I was to go for a campfire at CHS(details two posts below).So I decided to train by myself and ignorantly felt that jogging five rounds around the lake for a week before the tournament was enough.


It wasn't.

I arrived at the venue at 8ish as the email stated to be there by half past.Boy,I should have understood the term 'Malaysian timing' better.Melissa was the only one who came before the clock struck 9.Then Andrea,Sandra and this BRAT whose name I didn't hear.
Many teams had already gathered there by then and man,were they intimidating.It was obvious to see that many of them had been training and had experience participating in tournaments.It didn't help matters either that some of them were fit therefore,harder to hit.From the forwarded email,there were at least enough BRATs to make two teams.Sadly,that did not materialise.The last ones to arrive were Tan Kel Vin and Jir Wan.In desperation,we turned to Niki Cheong,whom many may know as the Bangsar Boy,to help us as he used to be a BRAT...in 1995.We were up against Boomers and we learned the hard way that you should never judge a dodgeball player by his physique.What they lacked in body size they made up for in skill.Long story short,we got trashed.10 nil.On a side note,I was out mostly because I stepped out of the lines too much and not because I got hit.And my throws were horrible.I only managed three(or was that two?) kills and had a lot veer off course.Yup,jogging didn't help,except for my brilliant but ultimately useless as a whole dodging.

Players in action.


The two commentators(Sarah Lian and some dude)on duty gameday.Unfortunately but logically,more people were interested in the games than them talking.So much so that I saw the dude having the time to just walk around One Utama aimlessly.
At around 1ish,the BRAT took on the RAGE team in a friendly match.What we thought was an easy match turned out to be not.Some dude called Max and Nasa Maria Entaban's boyfriend were good,throwing and dodging wise.Final result?A shameless 2-2 draw.Well,at least I hit Niki!
After that,there was nothing to do except watch the games as there was no work for the BRATs.Not being the one who likes to sit around watching other people have fun,I decided to go home.Before I begin,please be informed that the topic of this post shall now change to public transport.
  • I waited outside One Utama for a bus at 2.24 pm.
  • I boarded a bus at half past 3.Question time!
    Q:If one of the stops listed at the side of the bus says KL Sentral then the bus does stop there right?
    A:WRONG!!!!
    I counted about 3 such encounters until I got the right bus.WTF.
  • I arrived at KL Sentral at 4.15 pm.
  • Train under repair.Waited until half past 4.Had to run as the correct train was all the way on the other side of the track.
  • Reached Subang Jaya at 5.05 pm.

Amount of time spent from One Utama to SS 15 Subang Jaya?
Approximately 3 fucking hours.

I can't wait til I get my first car.


No comments:

Post a Comment