Saturday, April 17, 2010

Top 5 Best Cartoons From My Childhood(theme songs included!)

I confess:I am in denial.In denial that I am no longer a teenager.In denial that I now have more responsibilities than before.In denial that I cannot wriggle my way out of problems anymore just by saying that I am still a kid.

It doesn't help matters either that all the things I loved as a child is now just a click away on the Internet.While I retreat into my quiet,computer screen-lit room,here's 5 of my most favourite cartoons ages ago.



#5. Captain Planet

The show may advocate environmentalism,but the only thing kids learned were the lyrics to the theme song.And the horrible fashion sense of the early 1990s.Pantyhose that cover the lenght of the legs,shoulder pads,fanny packs,seriously?Till today I shuddered at the thought that I once actually considered the idea of dyeing my hair green.

Barring the producers' failure in hiring a fashion consultant,the show provides just the right amount of 80s corniness and baddassery to warrant a place in my heart,and reruns in several countries today. I couldn't find the theme song,but here's the intro anyways as consolation.







#4. Pokemon

Israel banned Pokemon when it was first released due to fears that it would promote neocolonialism and animal abuse.This may be the reason for the influx of Jewish immigrants to America,coz goddamn this was a show to swim across seas for.The English dubbing was great,if not better than the original Japanese voices;there was ample amount of Pokemon-on-Pokemon action without the SPCA getting their knickers in a bunch and there was the Team Rocket chant.The last factor is good enough reason already to love this show.








#.3 Digimon

I am sure that this decision would draw plenty of hate and disapproval from you Internet people.YES,I PLACED DIGIMON ABOVE POKEMON.To each his own and all that right?Right.

There are several reasons why Digimon holds a special place in my heart more than Pokemon ever would.Firstly,it was the earliest show I ever watched that contained death.During the course of the 1st season,plenty of Digimon allies sacrificed themselves in order to help the chosen kids escape.There was character development,and the show did a fine job of pulling a kid's emotional heartstrings,even though we don't have them those days.Pokemon the cartoon was different from the manga in the way that the Pokemon do not die,even when engulfed in flames or pounded on by beasts levels above them.Next,the show played a lot on adult themes,like war,oppression,generation gap,digital divide and things like that.Of course,the issues were dealt with lightly,but it was dealt with nonetheless,unlike Pokemon where all the main characters care about is obtaining the next gym badge.

I could go on and on about how the show is greater than Pokemon.But I won't.Because one should never explain why his choices are different from others.The world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same things.







#2. Vandread

I may seem like I am lying when I say I did not love this show because of the gratuitous implied sex,blatant homosexuality and boobs that seem like they were struggling for air under those tight suits.But I'm not.Really.

Maybe.







#1. Cooking Master Boy

When you are a 12 year old boy, there are very few cool as fuck occupations that you will aspire to.From fireman to policeman to anything that involves violence,that's pretty much it.Cooking Master Boy added chef to that list.

Even at 12,I am aware that Japan tends to overexaggerate various things in their anime,like gasing and those cheap RM5 Tamiya cars.But nothing could prepare me for the awesomeness of Cooking Master Boy.Chopping vegetables and putting them into the wok at the same time,secret underground cooking clans,food so shiny the light pierces the heavens,Legendary Kitchen Utensils.Yakitate Japan and Ristorante Paradiso just pales in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment