Thursday, March 4, 2010

Happy 10th Birthday PS2!

While Google celebrated the birthday of a certain Italian priest,a birthday of another kind took place in the homes of gamers everywhere.On the 4th of March 2000,Sony brought to the world a behemoth of gaming,the Playstation 2.Even today,developers are still making games for the PS2,with the long-awaited Sakura War's:So Long My Love Collector's Edition arriving later this year.The game is available on the other next gen consoles,but only the PS2 receives a collector's edition.


Since its release,it has proved to be undoubtedly the best console of all time,bringing to us a number of unforgettable games.It launched with Gran Turismo 3 and Final Fantasy 10 for god's sakes!Definitely a better choice than its decendant's launch titles which include one the worst reviewed games ever,Lair.Game stores still stock the console and sales did nothing but increase.

Eventhough the PS2 has been around for such a long time,I only got it in 2004,four whole years after its release.I still remembered the day clearly,even listing down the games I chose as part of the package the store sells the console with.One Piece,Smackdown Here Comes The Pain,Midnight Club 2,Crash Bandicoot Racing and some obscure US footie game.Looking back,I should have done more research.At least instinct brought me the most fun wrestling game I've ever played.

Over the course of the years since I became an owner of a PS2,I've played a great deal of games.To rephrase a quote from Charles Dickens,"there were the best of times,there were the worst of times".

Here,I bring you my five personal favourites,in no particular order.I did not choose them in terms of gameplay,graphics or story.I chose them based on their replayability,that one thing that makes me hit 'new game' straight after finishing them.Read it and weep.With nostalgia.


Grand Theft Auto: Vice City


San Andreas has jetpacks.San Andreas has territory wars.San Andreas gives you the ability to swim.San Andreas has 'Hot Coffee'.

Vice City has you cruising Miami Beach during a sunset on a PCJ600 with Billie Jean on the radio.Vice City is the only game where I spent a chunk of my time just exploring the map,ignoring the main and side missions.Vice City is the only game where I left it on and did something else,just to listen to the in game radio.

And that is why Vice City triumphs over San Andreas.

Shadow of the Colossus


Team Ico are the masters of atmosphere,and common sense.There are no generic minions to mow down just because they block your way to the boss.There are no locals to interact with while villains are slaughtering their village.There is no item shop that charges exceedingly high prices even when you are the only one who can save the world.

But there is a damsel in distress,and you must kill a number of colossi(the plural of colossus.Colossuses just sounds weird) to wake her up.You don't know why but you must do it for the woman you love.The rest of the engaging story I leave to your playing it.

Like I said earlier,there is no one else but you and your horse and the colossi.You must traverse over plains,mountains and rivers to find each one of them and do battle with.There is no life bar,just weak points scattered about their bodies.How you kill them is entirely up to your imagination.And they are a spectacle to behold.The first time they hover over your puny self,you'd just stare at them with your mouth agape.It almost feels sad to kill them.But there is that matter with the damsel.


Final Fantasy 12

A confession:I love this game.I love the battle system,the world and I especially love the hunt quests.I swear there is no more interesting side mission in the world of video games than the hunt quests of FF12.I literally pour hours into this feature of the game,and even grinded just so I can last longer when battling the next hunt.

The storyline is meh.The cast of characters have annoying accents.But oh fuck do I love me some hunt collecting.

What is this Monster Rancher that you speak of?


WWE Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain
I stopped watching after I realised that Rey Mysterio will never win the World Heavyweight title.But I did not stop playing the games.Here Comes The Pain is the best of the bunch,allowing plenty of freedom and faux exploration during the career mode.Players are able to visit 5 or 6 places in the game and interact with other wrestlers,either becoming allies or plain pissing them off.You can barge into the general manager's office and demand title fights.You can interrupt matches with just a press of the L3 button.

I watched wrestling again when Rey Mysterio pinned Randy Orton to become World Heavyweight Champion in 2006.He lost it a month later.I stopped caring after that.


Bully

If you have been reading my Top 5 posts,you'd have known this game will appear here.I'll just summarise the entire game in one decription:it's GTA set in a school.Nuff said.

These are games that you must give a try.There is life in the old PS2 yet,and it deserves more respect than being relegated to the closet while you buy a PS3.Sing it a birthday song.

So,what are your favourite PS2 games?

No comments:

Post a Comment